Tuesday, November 10, 2009

NYC Handball



A game many disregard as an "elementary school game" however it is has wide popularity within New York City. Some people oversimplify the sport by saying "what is so special about smacking a ball to a wall" but then again you can say that about all sports played in society. Handball is a phsyically demanding sport in which strength, speed, and endurance are all needed to play.

The origins are quite unclear however it is known that Irish immigrants were the first to introduce the game in the United States. For those who do not know the mechanics of the game, it is fairly simple. The objective of the game is to win each rally by serving or returning the ball so the opponent is unable to keep the ball in play, almost identical to tennis.



A very basic setup in striking the ball so that your opponent cannot return the shot, it strikes me to see the vast amounts of styles and forms in which people take on during playing a game. I am a true handball maniac, and it has had a heavy influence in my life. I have traveled all over Queens, improving my game while meeting new people. I've spoken to old timers about the game, their experiences as well as playing a game. It is a sport where you are granted the opportunity to learn and meet new people. It has never ceased to amaze me the different personalities who play the game. I have personally been told I do not look like I'm a handball player.

But what really constitutes a handball player ? There is no real group in particular that dominates the game nor is there any specific look a player has. It is a game of skill and precision, body size and weight does not play a roll as many may think. Unfortunetely the winter season is kicking in, meaning I will have to take my game indoors or lay dormant for the next couple of months until it is warm enough to play again. For those who don't play try it out, I'm sure you will gain some type of enjoyment of smacking the ball against the wall. For the people who belittle the game, I too encourage you to try it, skill and precision are needed, it is not an easy game to play. As Erasmus the Dutch Philosopher in 1524 said, "You may sweat more but the game is prettier when played with the hand."

Stay Funky

No comments:

Post a Comment